Thursday, June 17, 2010

Blog #2 Book Talk

In Chapter 6 of the book, Rethinking Education in the Age of Technology, readers are introduced to the lifelong learning era of education. The authors highlighted that at the onset of the Industrial Revolution there was a concern that immigrant children would not learn ‘proper’ American values and the English language without formal schooling so Horace Mann (an education reformer from Massachusetts) fought to make school a requirement for children via state mandate. This began a system of instruction using a common curricular format.

This is still the norm today. Children learn a common array of knowledge, language and social interaction in hopes of making them more ‘American’. I read this more as making them more ‘middle-class’. We live in a middle-class, 9 to 5 society so being a part of this norm helps with social and economic success – the true American way of life. This, of course, sets up a divide between the haves and the have-nots. Schools can only be as good as their local tax levies allow so not everyone can get to the same level of education or socioeconomic status –unfortunately, this is the success that most Americans really value.

The chapter also takes a look at ‘Responsibility’ in education - who really has the ownership over educating children? The chapter highlights that over the years this responsibility has moved from parents to the state to individuals and parents. According to the authors, parents are now beginning to take some of their control back when it comes to how/when/why their children are educated. Parents are now more open to home-schooling, learning with technology (online, distance education, correspondence courses, etc.) and being more flexible with what is being learned. This sounds great but I am left wondering what middle-class America will think? I don’t believe we, as a society, have made the paradigm shift in our thinking that will make it absolutely acceptable to have a ‘home-school’ diploma in all circumstances or a degree in ‘valuable life experiences’ on our resume. Presently, I think corporate America or even local companies will glaze over the resume that includes such creative, open, ‘out of the box’ educational pathways and instead choose the person that has the piece of paper from a traditional, ‘tried and true’ educational setting.

What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I am totally fine with you picking my argumentative post... I feel that way a lot when doing some of these readings. Hope I didn't go too far off the deep end...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I deleted my earlier post because I didn't think I was clear about what I had said. Some of the readings remind me of diversity training that I have received. So many years we have had training that really focused on how we should treat each other the same (respect, honor, etc. since we are all human) without mention about how we are all so different and sometimes we should really NOT be treated the same--(assuming that respect, etc. WILL be included in the treatment of everyone). Really we are being taught same-ness, not diversity at all. The terminology has always bothered me. (I feel like I am rambling--sorry) I think it is important to recognize the important differences that make up everyone's human-ness, but instead we tend to treat each other the same. That is what we have discovered in the readings too and I am sorry to say is what I do a lot of in my own teaching as well. The book promotes the use of online and techy as the rule, but is that any better than treating everyone the same in a traditional format? Do you think we need to meet somewhere in the middle, and promote learning methods that fit the child or adult? Of course that would require figureing out what would work best for each student--a monumental task! And you bring up another good point, if online degrees or home schooling aren't really valued by some people in society or possibly by employers, are they worth it? Just wondering. You always have a great viewpoint that makes me think. (I don't mean to offend with my comments about diversity training, it just seems like when we talk about differences--in teaching and in other parts of life--we should celebrate the differences and focus on regarding them in a positive light, rather than just treat/teach each other the same...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kelli,

    I have many concerns regarding home schooling. I do think for a population of Americans it is a great way for them to place their own religious views and/or cultural values in the way that their children are educated. I more concerned that some children in home schooling will miss some of the necessary social interactions. For the parentns that will make sure their children are exposed to other children by taking classes through their local schools or sport participation they will have some of the social interactions, but if parents are working and not spending extra time exposing their home schoolers to other kids and experiences I worry. In my professional experience, many of my home schooled students have struggles socially at the college level.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots to comment on here. Regarding diversity, it seems that technology is particularly suited to meeting the individual needs of each student .... celebrating their diverse ways of knowing/learning rather than treating everyone the same and expecting everyone to learn in the same way.

    ReplyDelete